Chillswim Coniston 5.25 mile end to end
Chillswim Coniston: 5.25 miles end to end. 31st August 2019
Chillswim Coniston has been sold out every year since its inception. It's a unique swim with a highly experienced management team.
Entry includes:• Transport to the start and from the finish back to the race HQ car park
• Professional water safety team supporting the swim
• Four feed stations along the route providing energy drinks & jelly babies!
• Chillswim Coniston silicone event swim hat
• Free parking on race day for participants
• Chillswim Coniston event medal to each participant
• Chillswim Coniston towel as the event memento
- Standard Entry Fee: £95
RouteThe route starts at the south of the lake and finish at the north shore end next to Monk Coniston Car Park. After the first mile swimmers will keep within approximately 50 metres of the shore and event mile marker buoys and support watercraft will direct swimmers.
Feed stationsThere will be four boat-based feed stations along the route near to the shore roughly every mile of the swim with water, sports drink and gels and jelly babies :-).
Mandatory Tow-Float UseYou must wear a swim tow-float/dry bag for this event. Please note that the entry fee does not include a tow-float, these are widely available online, via swim clubs and also in shops. In 2013 when we first launched this event Chillswim Coniston was the first mass participation event in the UK to have tow-float use as mandatory. We also spearheaded the introduction of these devices to open water swimmers! Seven years later we know that a lot of swimmers have tow-floats, so we no longer include them in the entry fee.
How does the event work?
- Turn up at the Event HQ either the evening before or the morning of the swim and we'll give you your race pack with swim hat, timing chip, and wrist band for your allocated bus shuttle time.
- Wetsuit swimmers can get changed at the Event HQ with baggage storage available.
- Non wetsuit swimmers take their bag with them to the start, with baggage transport to the finish.
- You board the bus according to your event start time (based on your predicted mile pace).
- We have a large marquee at the start for shade (!) or rain and a relaxed atmosphere to prepare you for your full length of lake swim. A full event briefing is given to you at the start of the swim.
- As you set off, water safety kayakers and support boats are there to look out for, and support, you.
- Orange mile markers are positioned to help guide you down the lake with feed stations starting at mile 1.5.
- You can stop for a drink at the feed stations or swim past and continue on your swim for the 5.25 miles.
- At the finish, your medal is placed around your neck, a warm drink awaits and buses are on hand to shuttle you back to Event HQ.
- Not wetsuit swimmers can change at the finish area and wetsuit swimmers can use the changing rooms and showers at Event HQ.
- Although this really event is about taking part and completing the journey, we do have prizes for the fastest in each age group for both wetsuit and non-wetsuit swimmers.
What pace should I put down when I enter?
What time does the event finish?Swimmers will arrive at the finish between around midday and 2.45pm and prize giving will be held as soon as possible after the last swimmer is out of the water, back at the event HQ (John Ruskin School). If you stay for the prize giving you can expect to be on the road by 4.30pm. However, our contingency day in case of horrendous weather is on the Sunday, so why not make a weekend of it up in the Lakes?
Is there a cut off time?We have a cut-off swim time of 65 minutes per mile, so with the staggered starts we the last swimmer will be out of the water by approx. 2.30 pm. With the sweep boat making sure that everyone is out of the water by 3pm, which is normally plenty of time for even the most relaxed swimmers taking in the view and having a chat!
When does registration open?Registration will be open on Friday evening from 18.30 - 20.30, and on Saturday morning from 7am. So those early swimmers will have chance to register on either day.
Can I swim with a friend?If you are your friend are identical paces, and have this entered in the registration system then you will be placed in the same start group. However if you have a difference of even a couple of minutes per mile we recommend that you don't try to compromise your own pace to promise to swim with a friend. We have found that inevitably one person is faster than the other, which can be frustrating for you and cause the faster swimmer to get cold waiting for the second swimmer.
Chillswim Coniston 2013 Results
Here are the full results for the Chillswim Coniston 2013
Chillswim Coniston 2014 Results
Here are the full results for the Chillswim Coniston 2014
Chillswim Coniston 2016 Results
Here are the full results for the Chillswim Coniston 2016
Chillswim Coniston 2017 Results
Here are the full results for the Chillswim Coniston 2017
Chillswim Coniston 2018 Results
Here are the full results for the arena Chillswim Coniston 2018